Friday, January 6, 2012

Reason #1 that I won't be winning Mother of the Year...



So...the truth is - if you don't know me very well - I AM a little bit type-A.  And a little bit anal-retentive.  Less so - sigNIFICANTLY less so since I've had children...but it's still there.  So I am not a big fan of fingerpainting.   It's so...messy...and while I consciously, absolutely, positively CELEBRATE the messines...my subconscious is literally spasming with the thought of all of the chaos.  When B brought up the idea tonight...I think I actually threw up a little in my mouth...I mean really!??!  really?!?!  After the last 2 days?  My patience was supposed to tolerate FINGERPAINTING?  but, I'm proud to admit that I took a deep breath... got out the dreaded fingerpaints...and squirted it right into their hands.  And then I was just mortified.  While B dug right in...E looked at me like I'd grown a 3rd head. 

MY 2 YEAR OLD DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO FINGERPAINT! 

THE HORROR!!!!!!

If I'm going to make an attempt at giving myself some credit here...B DOES know how to fingerpaint!  And, I'm very aware of my recent lack of focused attention with the girls (see aforementioned resolutions and/or attempts at change...)  When they were finished...they were, quite literally, covered from fingertip to elbow in paint (plus, inexplicably, some on E's eyebrow).  I had some on my sleeve and my forearm.  It was all over the table and the countertop.  It was all over the fingerpaint bottles.  All over E's highchair (yes - I KNOW she's 2 1/2 ... don't JUDGE!).  All over both the kitchen sink and the bathtub & shower walls.  PLUS a spot on the carpet from where B hit the deck on the way up the steps to the bathtub to wash.  Really?  it's no wonder that the stuff makes me cringe.  They had fun, we have some new artwork to grace the refrigerator now that all the Christmas cards have come down AND I feel like I fulfilled my obligation / desire to spend more focused time with my beauties!  All in all - Operation Fingerpaint was a SUCCESS!  *groan*

No comments: