I haven't written here in a very, very long time. Almost a year to be precise. And I've missed it. I've wanted to write - I've missed writing - but a little bit of time went by. And then a little bit more. And in no time at all, a TON of time had gone by and I felt like my first post "back" had to be EPIC or what was the point? And I just didn't have anything EPIC to write.
But it's November again. And last year, I used the month of November to post an item every day that I was very thankful for. And I loved it. It made me recognize all of the beauty and the wonder and the amazing gifts in my every day life. I've decided to use my "thankful in November" posts as my way back in. I'm rusty. Forgive me for that. In no particular order of importance...and without any further ado....
Nov 1 - So Thankful ... that my children are growing up with such independent little minds. They march to the beat of their own drum. Last night was Halloween. We took the girls trick-or-treating, of course. It's Minnesota and it was cold. Trick or Treating was a very short-lived bit of fun but a bit of fun nonetheless. We let the girls choose their own Halloween costumes every year. And even though I KNOW they are only going to wear the costumes for 30 minutes...I put a ridiculous amount of time into designing and making them each year. It costs me twice as much and takes up hours and hours but it makes me very happy and very, very proud. And everyone needs to feel a bit of pride now and again.
So I asked the girls what they wanted to be for Halloween this year. We tried very hard not to sway them in any way. They could pick ANYTHING they wanted to be - the only requirement being that they had to make the decisions 4-6 weeks out and they couldn't change their mind because I had work to do! E wanted to be a "Golden Princess" with a "Golden Wand" and a veil. She picked out the fabric including the lining for the giant sleeves. Doesn't she have a wicked great eye for fabrics? I was shocked that she didn't want to be Cinderella, or Belle, or Ariel or one of the many, many Disney Princesses that float around our toy room. (so shocked...I actually picked up patterns for several of the Disney Ladies' costumes when they were on sale because I was CONVINCED that's what she was going to want) But she didn't waiver a bit and proudly announced to everyone she met for weeks that she was going to be a "Golden Princess".
And the big girl? Well B's obsession with Star Wars continues. I fully expected a Star Wars themed costume from her but I suspected she'd want to be a Jedi or Princess Leia. I'm still surprised that she chose and stuck with Darth Vader. And let me tell you - there are no patterns out there for Darth Vader costumes. What I came up with was pure invention - and thank goodness for Google Images! We bought her a fantastic Vader mask that said phrases in his spooky, breathy voice when she pushed a button. And I LOVED the look on peoples' faces when a little girl's voice came from behind that mask to say "Trick or Treat"!
I am so thankful that our girls feel secure enough to be whatever they want to be. I know they are only 6 & 4 but they could easily be sucked into other peoples' expectations already at these ripe ages and I'm very grateful that we have avoided those traps so far. I know the day will come when they become conscious of what "everyone else is doing" - for now I'm just glad that they can be the strong and lovely and unique little ladies that they are!
The Ten Year Challenge
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment