Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ode to Mothers in the Middle of the Night...


It's 2:03 am.  I am deeply, deeply asleep.  Then, somewhere deep inside me, my conscious mind hears little feet hit the floor above my head.  By the time she reaches my doorway, that part of my brain is pushing past the dreams snuggled deep in my comfortable bed and by the time she reaches my side of the bed, I'm able to comprehend her small frame standing beside me. 

"What is it honey?" I mumble. 

"I have to go to the bathroom Mama." 

"So go", I sigh back at her. 

"I can't tuck myself back in."

 "Go on up, I'll be right there."  It isn't worth arguing with her in the middle of the night so she always automatically wins this fight.

I disentangle myself from the personal heater that is my sleeping husband and slip out of bed behind her.  Upstairs, I slump against the bathroom wall as she uses the toilet and then send her to her bed while I use it myself.  As I climb the steps to her bunkbed, I notice the shortest member of our family has, as usual, repositioned herself so that she is on top of all of her blankets with her feet on her pillow, her hands and knees tucked underneath herself, her rump in the air and her face straight down into the blankets.  A mass of hair covers the entirety of her head and her quiet snoring indicates that she is, in fact, able to breathe under there.  I step back down, find an extra blanket that has been used as a picnic blanket for stuffed animals on the floor and cover her.  In her bed, the taller one sits patiently waiting for me to tuck her back in.  After I make sure she's secure under a sheet and no less than four blankets, I start to whisper-sing "Rainbow Connection" to her and find that though I estimate that I have sung this song no less than 2,200 times in her lifetime I suddenly can't remember half the words.  I mumble the missing bits and she luckily, doesn't notice.  Straight into "La La Lemon" because if I don't sing them both - she WILL notice and I think, 'great - if I can't even remember the words, THIS time I'm tired enough to go straight back to sleep'. 

So here it is, 3:12 am and clearly I was NOT able to go straight back to sleep.  I know that the light from my computer and iPad are supposed to further disrupt my sleep pattern but mindless television seems to be the only thing that turns off my brain in these occasions.  So I write this little story, I'll watch part of an old episode of The West Wing and then try again to return to dreamland. 

Ah - the beautiful, blessed life of a mother.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That's some pretty good writing for being the middle of the night. Hope the West Wing does it trick.