
Do you ever stop to think about the decisions and choices that you make every day? I know I rarely put too much thought into them as they come up but for some reason I've become very introspective lately about my life's path overall.
If I had ever practiced my oboe, could I be a virtuoso today?
If I hadn't gone to Concordia, would I have had the opportunity to travel Europe and live in Greece? These are opportunities that shaped who I am today.
If I hadn't made various good and bad decisions in my relationships - what would my friendships look like today?
If I hadn't worked at Theatre L'Homme Dieu in the summer of 1997 would I be married to an IT guy today instead of a lighting guy?
![]() |
| This photo is 2 years old already...but I like it! We enjoy each other as much as we did 15 years ago when we met! |
How about a decision-path that would have led me to the man I met this past week who dabbles in real estate and martial arts and loves pitbulls?
What kind of car am I driving? What kind of career do I have? Where do I live in the alternate universe of this life?
Some things are obvious - I have few natural physical talents so I was never destined for the WNBA or the Olympic swim team. But I've always loved music and I believe I have a tiny bit of inherent talent - maybe if I'd cultivated it I'd still be performing today? It's a little overwhelming now that I've stopped to really think about it. Makes me start to look for significance in everyday decisions that probably actually hold very little significance. Also makes me shiver a bit when I think about the beauty that is in my life today and the fact that there are so many decisions that have led me to this exact time and place.
While I don't mind picturing my life in a bigger house, with less debt or more vacations - I don't like the idea that my daughters might not exist, my husband might not be my husband or I wouldn't have been able to experience some of the crazy, amazing things that I have.
I'll continue to let my mind drift and picture alternatives - it's fun to daydream but at the end of the day, it's important to recognize that I have a beautiful life to treasure.
| Not every Mama gets to introduce her kids to the Wiggles! |


No comments:
Post a Comment